Slideshow Image 0 Slideshow Image 1 Slideshow Image 2 Slideshow Image 3 Slideshow Image 4 Slideshow Image 5 Slideshow Image 6 Slideshow Image 7 Slideshow Image 8 Slideshow Image 9 Slideshow Image 10 Slideshow Image 11 Slideshow Image 12 Slideshow Image 13 Slideshow Image 14

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Expressions of Love

“Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn.” Romans 12:15
IMG_1469
This may look like just another stack of dishes to you; however, they represent so much more to me. This is evidence of the verse above – evidence that when an individual in the body of Christ mourns, the body of Christ mourns with him/her. We grieve together and comfort each other in the midst of loss. We are not alone. This comforting can come in so many manifestations – shared tears, daily prayers, listening ears, phone calls and numerous texts & emails.

All of the above have greatly encouraged us and reminded us our hurt hasn’t gone unnoticed. Both Chris and I can say with deep conviction – we know we are deeply loved. Daily meals have been yet another very tangible way the body of Christ has blessed our family during this season of loss and we’re “oh so” grateful. When originally approached about having meals brought to us, I hesitated. But then I remembered the heaviness of the 1st miscarriage and how on certain days just washing my face was absolutely overwhelming. So, I reluctantly & graciously said yes – we’d love some meals. And goodness, did our sweet friends bring us meals . . . two weeks worth! The picture above is only a glimpse of the “love” we received that nourished not only our stomachs but also our souls. It definitely prevented me from dining all day on Goldfish crackers and La Baguette cake – which is all I’ve really wanted the past two weeks (I’m actually eating Goldfish crackers right now). I am truly grateful for the nourishment and healing these meals have brought us. It was also a blessing to see our friends each day as they delivered the meals to us. At least for me, it allowed me the chance to process my thoughts, hurts and triumphs of the day as well as forced me to brush my teeth and smile for a moment (all forms of healing in a weird way).

Chris and I have definitely walked away from this 2nd miscarriage immersed in the extravagant love of Christ. Although we know the road to healing and moving forward is long – these tangible expressions of love have meant the world to us, and I will be forever grateful for the sacrifice our friends and family have made to help lighten our load and ease the pain of our loss. As it says in 2 Corinthians 1:3-5, our desire is to take this loss and use it to glorify the Father. Our desire is to encourage and comfort others who experience similar pain in the same way we were comforted in the midst of ours.

“Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God. For just as we share abundantly in the sufferings of Christ, so also our comfort abounds through Christ.”
I wanted to share just a few more ways I’ve been greatly encouraged over the past two weeks. I am deeply convinced I have the sweetest group of friends in the world. Thank you for ALL the ways you have made sure I’m loved and cared for . . .

IMG_1473
Jonny & Denise Mills surprised me with an absolutely gorgeous bouquet of roses and alstroemeria. They have delightfully brightened our home. It’s been a reminder to me of new life. A promise I’m clinging too.

IMG_1488
Oh yes, the way to my heart – empty calories. Thank you Brooke for knowing that a little comfort food never hurt anyone.

IMG_1478
If you know me, I’m a note writer (call me old fashioned). I love the written word and how personal it is. It means so much for me to be able to tuck these cards away and reread them on the tough days. They are a reminder people really do care – even enough to put a stamp on an envelope and mail it the slow way. I love it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment